Day 70: Choice number two

As a quick update to yesterday's entey, I ended up deciding to take the train around to Atami rather than risk taking the intended route up into and back down our of the park.

I woke up with my alarm at 6am to make the decision on if I was going to hike or take the bypass.


While my leg was feeling passable, my digestive system was not.  So I slept for a few more hours before checking out and heading to the train, getting off a stop early.

I wasn't content with taking a zero on the day, so I intentionally took a long and circuitous route before ultimately getting to my hotel, landing me with 15km on the of odometer for the day. This helped me avoid any sense of guilt.

Along the way I visited a shrine, which was buzzing with activity, and got another stamp in my book.


I also pressed my luck a little and explored up into the hills beyond the temple for a while.  I have gotten to the point now where I am very comfortable carrying my pack when fully loaded. But hitting the hills cranked things up a notch with very steeply graded roads, and I was certainly feeling that pack weight again.

Plenty of steep grades to make my legs and lungs burn.


The hills were a good preview for my climb into Fuji Hakone Izu national park tomorrow.  I wandered about 1.5km into the hills, constantly winding my way up steep switchbacks, ultimately climbing about 250m before coming back down toward Atami again.

I have arrived at my lodging for the night, a Ryokan up in the hills below the park.  Tomorrow I will be up early for breakfast, provided with my lodging, which is a good inventive to get an early start. 

Tomorrow I will have to climb triple the height I climbed today, and many rests will be needed along the way. The route is about 17km, with the ~700m of ascent happening over the course of 5km.

Climbing into, and then around the park is going to be the last major physical challenge of the journey, and I am looking forward to it.  My physical health and ability have improved noticably during this journey.

I am cautiously optimistic about my leg, as it did not hurt during the day, even on the steepest sections, but it does feel weak.  Then again weakness in my left like is not surprising, that's it's whole deal.  Nerve damage is a son of a bitch.

Upwards and onwards!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 76: The finish line