Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

One of my goals on this hike is to visit many temples and shrines along my route. In part to simply observe their beauty and appreciate the culture, but also to participate in a small way by praying and collecting Goshuin (temple stamps).

My first stop of many to this end was at Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine, the largest shrine in Osaka.



This is where you must cleanse yourself before entering the shrine grounds.

Sumiyoshi Taisha is noteworthy not only for it's size, but also it's iconic and magnificent bridge leading up to the main shrine ground:

The water is brimming with turtles and koei.

Most shrines and temples have a small office where you can purchase a book to collect your Goshuin in, called a Goshuin-cho. Larger shrines and temples will have goshuin-cho that are unique to their grounds.

I am very pleased that I was able to explore these grounds, pray here and then receive my first Goshuin!


I am looking forward to collecting many more along my journey, and hopefully filling my Goshuin-cho completely.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 81: Enforced ease in Tokyo