Day 40: Out of the quiet and into the storm

Today I leave Kyoto.  I have probably stayed longer than should, and certainly longer than necessary, but I have enjoyed my time here and have grown from it.

My last few days have been peaceful, quiet and relaxing.  The city is filled with things to see and do, but I haven't felt their draw for a while, so instead I have spent my time enjoying the quiet space here.

As when I left Osaka, saying goodbye to Takanori and his Banana Hammock guest house, I will be sad to put behind me Noeli & Maca and the Hanakanzashi.  Leaving the warmth and friendship shown to me by Takanori was much harder than I had expected it to be, and I know this will be very true here as well.

These two women have been kind and friendly to me, and I have enjoyed being able to spend time in their company immensely.  It is certainly a big part of why I chose to stay as long as I did.

But this journey isn't about sitting still, and I have done enough of that for now. It is time once again to move forward.

I will head to Nagoya this evening, where soon after arriving I will almost certainly be forced to sit still.

There is a storm out in the Pacific, one that has grown quickly and turned towards Japan; Typhoon Hagibis.


When I first heard about the storm it was a tropical storm of little concern.  The next morning it was a category 5 super typhoon on a path for central japan - aka where I am right now.   It has grown in power at a record breaking rate, and currently stands as the strongest storm currently active on the planet.

There have been two previous typhoons that have made landfall during my stay here, and I have been lucky enough to be outside of their paths.

However Hagibis looks to be aiming straight down the middle with its sights set on me.  You can't dodge all the demons life throws your way I suppose.

By the time it makes landfall on Saturday I will be well burrowed into my next home in the north of Nagoya, intent on riding out the storm in comfort.

There is a reasonable chance that the storms path will shift and I will miss the bulk of its ferocity.  But in any situation I expect to see a great deal of rain pushed my way, even if the storm center misses Nagoya.

So tomorrow I will spend a little time shopping for extra food and filling all my water containers so I have no need to go out in the storm.

But for today, it is a sunny day and I intend to spend a little time enjoying that warmth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 76: The finish line