Day 6: Nara and Okonomiyaki

The heat persists, but I'm determined not it let it keep me on the sidelines.

So this morning I set out to Nara park before the heat was in full force.  From my current home base at Banana Hammock in South Osaka I expected it to be complicated to reach Nara, which is about 45km away, but to my surprise it was a matter of catching a train into town, a quick transfer and I was on my way.

As a side note, I have a much better success rate of navigating the Osaka railway system than I do walking through doorways. The top of my head had the lumps to prove that.

But back to the point. Nara, which is known for its bowing deer was on my list to see while I'm still in Osaka, and it was a worthwhile way to spend an afternoon.

At its height the temperature was 36C, and Nara was a scorcher.  Filled with tourists, the deer are definitely well fed.


Once they have had their fill of crackers, much like weary tourists like myself, is was time to retreat to the shade.


Between witnessing the numerous deer politely hitting up tourists for biscuits I was also able to visit a number of temples. My favourite was Tōdai-ji:


Inside this massive temple, massive Buddha statues befitting a temple of this scale:


I was able to visit a number of temples and shrines in Nara, offer small prayers and collect a few new Goshuin before the heat sent me home.

Later this evening, while sitting in the common area with Takanori and others, he asked if I had tried Okonomiyaki yet, which reminded me of another thing I had on my list.

I was excited to try, so Takanori suggested a nearby restaurant and helped write an order on a note for the chef. With my note in hand like a small child I walked down the street and found the place:


Inside I sat at the bar, if the same fashion as an American diner, only this bar was covered with hot griddles. I handed my note over, and watched with wide eyes as the chef began cooking up my first Okonomiyaki!



I have to say that aside from tasting great, and being extremely filling, Okonomiyaki is one of the more challenging food I've tried to eat with chopstick.

A pancake of ingredients followed by a layer of noodles, followed by thick slices and then the top layer of pancake makes for some very unstable chopstick challenges!


But I am happy to report that I eventually managed it all, and now I sit in my room very contented and ready for sleep.

I am still working on my revised plans, but that is a story for another day.

Goodnight from Osaka.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 76: The finish line