Day 5: An unexpected treat

Aside from a brief trip out to the the supermarket today to inspect possible food options for the trail, I spent most of my day locked away in my room furiously researching what my new plans might look like.

After a long day of Google searches, pdf reading, and mangled translations my brain was frazzled.  I put my phone on my pocket and decided to head out to find a snack. And as it turns out I did not have to go far at all.

Leaving my room I headed downstairs to the common area to say hello to my host Takanori, as I had not seen him at all today.  As soon as I rounded the corner he greeted me warmly from the table where he was eating dinner. As I approached down the hallway I could see there was a woman sitting with him and they were eating a home cooked meal.

I was invited to sit and eat with them, and I was shocked and thrilled at the generous offer. Before I knew it Takanori had jumped up and  retrieved chopsticks and a dish, which was promptly filled by Takanori's dinner guest who handed it to me, along with a glass of tea.

So many different things, all extremely delicious!

It was explained that Takanori's dinner guest was not only the chef responsible for this delicious meal, but also the owner of the building.

While she and I did not share a language, Takanori did his best to help keep conversation moving back and forth as translator, while also eating. We talked about my first attempt, and my new plans, about Canada and Japan, and how tough languages are.  Before I knew it the meal was done.

The food was wonderful, but more than that it was nice to share it with such warm and kind people who once again made me feel at home while being so far away from home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 76: The finish line