Day 21: Downtime thoughts

Today I have been under the weather, an upset stomach leaving me lightheaded and with low energy.  So today I don't have a story of a new adventure, but small stream of consciousness about a part of my time here so far.

By and large I receive two reactions from Japanese people I pass on the streets; I am either politely ignored, as though I do not exist, or I am greeted with bug-eyed stares and/or slacken-jaw amazement.

The later of those two reactions is entirely the domain of the very young and very old.  Most of the time these looks of shock are with eyes filled with curiosity, but rarely I also see negativity in their eyes.

Neither of these reactions bother me, I expected them before arriving.  I did not have any illusions of blending in here.  You don't show up as a white dude with freckles and a large, unusual red beard hanging off your face and think you will pass unnoticed.

Very rarely however, there is a third sort of reaction I get, one of friendliness and curiousity.  People stopping me to say hello, ask me where I am from, or gesture and mimic my beard on their face with a happy grin and words I will never understand.

My favourite encounter like this was as I was on the outskirts of Kyoto, late in the afternoon.

As I was walking inwards towards the city I was regularly passed by groups of school children as they headed on all directions towards their many homes.  Most ignored me, wrapt in excited conversations.

Approaching a street corner, a young girl, maybe 8 or 9 years of age came barrelling around the bend in full run with her head down, perhaps headed home in a hurry, or trying to catch up with a previous group of children I had seen. 

I heard the sound of her steps before I saw her and quickly stepped out of her determined path.  The quick shuffle of my feet brought her head up to look and the sight of me caught her completely off guard.

Her momentum carried her forward but she turned and made eye contact and stuttered out an unsure "H-hello", then repeated it with a smile and new found confidence "HELLO!".  I responded with my best "Konnichiwa".

Her young face lit up with shock and happiness at my basic response.  She waved and as quickly as she had arrived, left in the sort of wildly energetic run that only a child can run.

I have only been here a few weeks, but I have had many passing encounters with people here that have left me feeling welcome and happy to have the opportunity to explore this wonderful country.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 76: The finish line