Day 20: Tranquility in Kyoto

Tonight is my third night in Kyoto, and I am feeling quiet relaxed here, and the weather continues its decline towards a proper autumn.

The narrow street my guest house is on.

This ease and relaxation I feel here is certainly in part from simply being in Japan long enough that the stress of everyday things has largely waned. But I also feel a difference in style and tone here that also helps set me at ease.

Today, despite a sore foot (a story for another time), I was able to casually wander the streets near my guest house and explore nearby temples and shops.

I received my first two-page Goshuin from Hozoji temple.

Kyoto is less dense, less crowded and very visually more traditional in style than Osaka. Life here feels just one step slower that it did in Osaka, and I appreciate that subtle difference.

My stay here has also been made very welcoming with the discovery of a bustling and happy guest house, which I feel very lucky to have booked.

In stark comparison to may stay at the creepily empty Sai guest house a few nights ago, the Hanakanzashi Gion is brimming with guests, giving the place a warm and lively feel.

Each night there are many guests in the common area, which was once very recently a small restaurant looking into an open kitchen.  This common area lends itself well to socializing, with groups around tables and plenty of happy conversations all intermingling.

The common room late this evening after most hard retired, the back room where I came to know Noeli and Maca shrouded in darkness.

Those who know me well know that I am not terribly social, despite having plenty of social skills, so I appreciate the social aspects of this place being at the forefront. I feel this warm and open social feeling is borne from the staff that help to run the hostel, who go out of their way to be social with the guests and help them feel welcome.

Last night I chose to spend my evening in the back of the common area, as that room was empty and seemed an ideal place for me to scratch out another blog post.

Just as I was finishing my writing one of the staff, Noeli who has checked me in the previous night in my exhausted state, came in and sat at my table and we began chatting.  Before I knew it her friend Maca had joined us and hours had passed as the three of us has shared all sorts of stories.  I felt wrapped up in the generosity of their warmth and happiness.

Like me, they are foreigners as well, originally from Chile, and like me had only been here for a few weeks.  This gave us a common ground right from the start, as we could talk about our struggles figuring out Japan and let the rest flow naturally from there. The evening flew by.

By the end of the night we had been joined by two other guests, one from Tunisia and another from Mexico, and our conversations were wide ranging and very engaging.  Each person at the table brought an interesting perspective on whatever topic we found ourselves exploring.

These are the sorts of experiences that I value highly when traveling, but also find them the hardest to naturally encounter due to my rather anti-social tendencies.

Much like leaving Takanori and the banana hammock behind was far sadder for me than I had anticipated, I can already tell that my time here will be looked back on very fondly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 76: The finish line