Day 81: Enforced ease in Tokyo

These last few days in Tokyo have been extremely restful, but also challenging in the pursuit of that rest.

It seems that walking constantly for a few straight months sets a subconscious rhythm, one that even when the music has stopped my body wants to keep moving to.

Despite my many pains, and a desire to rest for their sake, I have found it hard to actually do so. Each morning I tell myself I am going to just stay in bed that day, relax and do as little as possible.  By the end of the day I have walked at least 12km.

In part Japanese cities and walking go together like government and corruption, you can't have one without the other it would seem.  So even just the act of going somewhere nearby typically can draw me into more walking than I planned on.

But also, I am simply fighting to feel comfortable not being constantly on the move. Even when I was taking off days on the trail, I was still exploring the place I found myself extensively. I would walk nearly as much on off days as on my travel days, sometimes as much as 20km just wandering around all day looking at things.

So, while I am not doing great at relaxing, at least not yet, I am feeling much better than when I first arrived in Tokyo.

It was initially very emotional and surprisingly depressing to have finished my trek.  Despite all the amazing experiences I had, it was hard not to feel loss about the journey being at an end.

Thankfully, the very next day helped to reset my mood through the form of a most random reconnection.

About 8 years ago, while I was living in Paris, I had met a fellow expat; Jen. She was also living in Paris and we quickly found ourselves enjoying having a friendly face and familiar sounding voice to pass the time with, swapping stories of our shared struggles adapting to life in Paris.

We would end up parting ways after leaving Paris, with her path taking her back to the US, while I was headed to Sweden for my next job.  We would chat occasionally online, but it seems out paths were headed in completely different directions.

By complete coincidence she found herself arriving in Tokyo at the same as me, all these years later.  So the morning after I arrived in Tokyo, feeling rather glum, I found myself greeted by my old friend.

Life has a funny way of doing unexpected things, like connecting you with an old friend at an ancient temple on the far side of the planet.



The massive lanterns of Sensoji temple.

Much like when we first met as expats in France, meeting with Jen here in Tokyo had the same effect: familiarity and warmth in a foreign land.

We spent the day exploring various parts of Tokyo, along with her travelling companion, and  waas Iwe wandered I was able to share stories of my adventure.  It helped me settle into a more comfortable feeling about having completed my journey, and take some pride in the moment rather than lament it's loss.

But eventually we parted ways again, with her adventure taking her west out of Tokyo, back the way I had just come, only at much more convenient speeds than when I had passed through.

Despite being on my own again, I was no longer glum, and the following days sat better with me.

I have since spent the days sight seeing, wandering and enjoying not having a schedule and a daily pace to keep up with while walking.  I haven't been able to stop walking yet, but I am slowing down gradually.

Among the things I have seen so far:

Tokyo Skytree


With amazing views - Tokyo stretches out seemingly forever.

Tsukiji Hongwanji, with its unique architectural style. I've never seen a Buddhist temple built like this one before.

While inside a monk randomly gave me this origami ball as a gift.

SOOOOO many groups of go-carts driving around the streets. It's fun the first time, but they would probably drive me mental if I lived here. 

I've also confined to collect Goshuin along the way. I have 3 spaces left in my book, so I will definitely complete it before I leave next week.






I have just over a week left here in Tokyo, and now that I am happy and at peace with the end of the trek, I am enjoying exploring this endless city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine