A plan never survives contact with reality.

I knew that no matter how hard I worked on planning for this trip I was bound to miss some detail and have to start adapting, I just didn't expect it to bite me in the ass 5 minutes after clearing customs! 😂

Landing was smooth and uneventful.  Osaka's Kansai International airport rests on a man-made island in the bay, which makes it incredibly cool by that fact alone.



I was concerned about customs.  Had I do e my research correctly? Would they infact issue me a 90 day visa on my Canadian passport as I expected? Would I even understand what to do??

But all those fear evaporated.  I had many helpful staff making sure I was in the right place and doing the right thing.

I arrived at the customs officer's desk and we chatted about my stay. I explained why I was here; that I was hiking to Tokyo. His eyes widened in disbelief.  He was concerned about the length of stay I had written on the customs slip.

I showed him my departing flights, he tapped a few keys on his keyboard and muttered a moment to himself. Before he was silent a small machine under the counter printed out a small visa sticker. He showed me the details and politely explained my visa was valid until November 30th, and that I must be careful not to miss that date. I was on my way.

I found my bag, and was concerned at first. Things looked grim.



Thankfully my pack was not damaged and the airport bag was only putting on a dramatic look.  A quick debagging and I headed to a final customs check with my pack on my back.  They again asked why I was staying so long, and I explained my plan to hike to Tokyo.  This agent was shocked at the idea, but her shock turned to a smile as I turned to show her my pack, bristling with my trekking poles and seeming to add gravitas to my explanation.  She sent me along.  I was now officially freely roaming Japan. 

The money change station was incredible, and at each stage a member of staff was at a station to verify the process. From the initial filling out of the form to the counting of the money, to a third person who returned my newly changed Japanese money.  In all, 4 people were involved, and it went like clockwork. 

But then, disaster!  I sat down to use my phone, and remember I needed to install my prepaid SIM card I had bought before I left.

Had I brought rain gear? Sure. First aid if I am injured? Yup.  A repair kit for my gear? Of course.  A fucking paperclip to open my SIM card tray?!  NO.  

**facepalm**

After asking at a few mobile stands I was greeted with a woman with a warm smile who must see idiots like me a hundred times per day. She knew as soon as I gestured to my phone, quickly grabbed a paperclip and said "I will give this to you for free".  I mustered my best 'arigato gozaimashita' and scurried away with my newfound treasure.



My trip was back on the rails...

Speaking of rails. Enough procrastinating with writing this blog.  Time to dig out my SUICA card and brave Japan's trains for the first time!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 81: Enforced ease in Tokyo