My first 7-11 food experience

I've done a bit of reading and preparing for this trip ahead of time. One understandably important topic has been 'how to feed myself'.

Much of my reading has lead me to understand that 7-11 in Japan is source of good, high quality food.  Until this morning I was skeptical, as 7-11 food in North America is at best a crapshoot and at worst, well...

But this morning I ventured back to the local 7-11 armed with my research and a small recon trip last night after dinner.

Here is what I picked out:


  1. "Tuna and mayonnaise"
  2. "Spicy rice"
  3. "Egg salad"
Now I will admit that I had seen a lot of talk (read: ecstatic raving) the egg salad sandwiches from Japanese 7-11 from other travellers online.  So where that sandwich would have been an 'avoid at all costs' item back in north America for fear of food poisoning, I looked for it specifically. But more on that later. I am getting ahead of myself.

The first item, tuna and mayo, turned out to be essentially a tuna sandwich with rice in place of bread.  And it was better than any tuna sandwich I ever made myself back home!



The second item was exactly what is said on the package; spicy rice. And it did not disappoint.  A disc of spicy rice that after the first bite I devoured. 

And finally, the egg salad.  As I mentioned before, I had read a lot of other travellers extolling the virtues of this ahead of time. Even with my raised expectations I was still shocked at how good it was.  Among the reasons why this was so excellent was the unusual mayo used to make them, called "kewpie mayonnaise", which is made using only egg yolks.  

This sandwich was SOOOO good. It will not be the last I eat while in japan!

The sun is now fully up, so I am going to set out for my first real day of exploring Osaka.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 81: Enforced ease in Tokyo