Day 8: A surprise second supper

Today was a quiet day spent in the common area of my guest house in Osaka, intentionally avoiding the weekend crowds in the city.

I spent much of the day sitting at the table in the common area watching live sumo wrestling on TV and continuing to hash out my revised plan.

That isn't to say I spent the entire day inside. I did pop out a few times, mainly to the 7-11 for a cold drink, or as evening closed in, an easy bowl of udon.

It was just after 6pm when I tucked into my convenience store udon, which rivaled many restaurant bowls I have eaten in western countries.  I returned to my planning, then headed upstairs to relax in my bed.

A few hours later, as I was laying in bed looking at maps and wondering if i had eaten too early and if I would be hungry before bedtime, Takanori came up the stairs to the third floor and called out for me.  I slipped out of my bunk to find my host holding a small dish of tuna sashimi for me.

I was by all rights very surprised.  Not only is tuna sashimi my favourite, but I had not expected this whatsoever.

Takanori explained that the owner of the building had come over once again with homemade food.  She remembered from our previous meal's conversation that tuna sashimi was my favourite Japanese food and had made sure to bring some for me this time.

More food kept being unpacked after this photo was taken, including a dish of a thousand tiny whitefish and a mountain of tofu!

We all sat, ate and talked (with the help of Takanori), enjoying the meal and time together.  After she retired upstairs for the night Takanori and I hung around the table talking about sumo wrestling, Japanese life, venison, baseball and all sorts of topics for a few more hours in one of those entirely comfortable ways where you don't much think about time passing, you just enjoy the time as is passes.

It was a quiet and relaxed day with a completely wonderful surprise ending.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning my Goshuin collection; Sumiyoshi Taisha shrine

Day 50: Festivities in Toyohashi